You are here
Minimally Invasive Achilles Tendon Repair Rehabilitation
- Backslab cast in slight equinus, non-weight bearing.
- Change to cam walker with 2 x 1cm heel wedges.
- Start partial weight bearing, initially max 20 kg first 2 weeks, then increase to ½ bodyweight.
- Boot off for showers and physio.
- Physio = active assisted range of movement (ROM), max plantar flexion.
- Dorsiflexion limited to minus 10 degrees.
- Patient should do gentle active rom daily.
- Remove 1 x wedge, graduate to full weight bearing.
- Physio = start gentle strengthening with Theraband.
- Increase range of movement (ROM) to max 10 degrees dorsiflexion.
- Remove last wedge, physio same.
- Graduate out of cam walker, start weight bearing strengthening with physio as tolerated.
- Range of movement (ROM) unrestricted as tolerated.
- Gradually increase walking distance / time as tolerated.
- Allowed to start running.